University Health (services provided by Truman Medical Centers), downtown Kansas City’s new and only freestanding outpatient specialty and surgery center, opened today with a ceremonial grand opening and ribbon-cutting. University Health, 2101 Charlotte Street, offers the latest in technology, including 3-D mammography and a state-of-the-art surgical center with capability for the most advanced surgeries including eye, orthopaedic, oral and reconstructive services.
Dr. McCormack's work, including a stretch of more than five years with a zero percent post-operative infection rate, is credited with helping TMC-Lakewood become the region’s first hospital to earn the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for hip and knee replacement programs.
Focused on collaborative research and community outreach, downtown district is unlike any other in the nation. The newly created district combines the unique expertise and services provided by a medical center; a children’s hospital; a university and its schools of medicine, nursing, pharmacy and dentistry; as well as the local health department, mental health center and county medical examiner’s office.
TMC is proud to announce it has been awarded Workplace Wellness Certification from the KC Chamber’s Healthy KC Workplace Wellness Initiative. “It’s an honor to be recognized for the effort that we make, as an organization, to help keep our employees aware that their health matters,” says Truman Medical Centers President and CEO, Charlie Shields.
“This award demonstrates that our hard work, and focus on core measures pays off,” said Lynette Wheeler, Lakewood COO. “The Lakewood team can be very proud of this achievement.”
Mitzi Cardenas, Senior Vice President, Chief Strategy and Information Officer is named to the list of 2017 Most Powerful Women in Healthcare IT
In the warmer months, we tend to wear clothes exposing more skin, you might notice what TMC dermatologist Paul Reicherter, MD, calls “suspicious characters,” a mole or freckle that looks different from the others or that has any characteristics of the ABCDEs of melanoma.
The University Health Breast Center offers the gold standard of care in diagnosis and treatment of cancer as well as benign conditions of the breast.
UPA, in collaboration with Truman Medical Centers (TMC), will launch University Health On the GO! in Spring 2016 at two Independence Hy-Vee grocery store locations (1525 East 23rd St. South and 4545 South Noland Road), giving those who live in and around Independence convenient access to affordable, walk-in medical care. Having the clinics located in Hy-Vee stores with pharmacies means prescriptions can be filled on the spot.
Lynda Donegan, Vice President, Professional Health Services, and Marsha Morgan, former COO TMC Behavioral Health, were named as 2017 Heroes in Healthcare by Ingram’s magazine.
Days after a tornado ripped through the small town of Oak Grove, damaging nearly 500 homes, groups of volunteers began their efforts to clean up and rebuild the community. The Jackson County Health Department (JCHD) and Truman Medical Centers were two of those groups.
TMC and Cerner, a global leader in health care technology, have formed a strategic relationship dedicated to the transformation of health care in Kansas City and across the world. By working closely, the organizations will pilot innovations using progressive health care information technology (IT).
TMC) Behavioral Health and the Kansas City Public School District will host the Kansas City premier of the documentary “Paper Tigers” on Saturday, November 7 at the Paseo Academy of the Arts from 12:30 pm to 4pm. The screening and group discussion will help to raise awareness for the national movement to develop Trauma Informed Communities and Trauma Sensitive Schools.
Truman Medical Centers Nursing Administration is partnering with Community Health Education and the Kansas City Public School District to launch a unique program – Pathways to Nursing.
Truman Medical Centers is thrilled to have ‘officially’ broken ground a unique partnership designed to improve Kansas City’s health and wellness. We are talking about a one-of-a-kind project: a health clinic in a Kansas City YMCA.
- TMC Introduces First Arthroscopic Surgery Simulator in the Kansas City Area
October 7, 2015
- Truman Medical Centers WIC Earns Loving Support Award of Excellence - Gold
August 18, 2015
- Ruth Stricklen Pullins, MA, SPHR, CLRP, Named TMC Chief Human Resources Officer
July 21, 2015
- TMC Recognized as one of Healthcare’s “Most Wired” for Fifth Consecutive Year
July 9, 2015
- Steve DeGarmo Named Vice President, Facilities and Real Estate
June 9, 2015
- TMC Behavioral Health to Host Special Screening of “Dark Side of the Full Moon”
Mat 12, 2015
- Mark T. Steele, MD, Named TMC Chief Operating Officer
May 4, 2105
- TMC WIC Program Announces New Income Guidelines and Food Package Changes
April 15, 2015
- Jackson County Health Department is Celebrating National Public Health Week
April 2, 2015
- TMC Sr. Vice President of Strategy, Business Development and Technology Named a "Hero in Healthcare"
February 19, 2015
- UMKC, TMC to Leverage Cerner Health Facts Data in Research
February 18, 2015
- Tenth Annual TMC Charitable Foundation Fashion For A Cause
February 18, 2015
- TMC Names Nancy Lewis, Vice President, Marketing and Public Relations
February 18, 2015
- TMC and Morrison's Open CrEATe
February 11, 2015
- TMC and The University of Kansas Cancer Center Form Lab Partnership
February 11, 2015
- TMC Names Amy Peters, RN, and Lynette Wheeler, RN, to New Leadership Positions
January 23, 2015
- UMKC School of Medicine Named Top 10 Residency Program in the Midwest
January 13, 2015
- TMC Selected as 2014 HIMSS Enterprise Davies Award Recipient
November 19, 2014
- John Dane Receives Distinguished Service Award from Mo. Dental Association
November 13, 2014
- TMC Earns CHIME/AHA Transformational Leadership Award
October 31, 2014
- TMC Hospital Hill Earns Baby-Friendly Designation
October 28, 2014
- W.H.O Chooses TMC's Infection Prevention Director for Ebola Consultation
September 24, 2014
- Tara Clark, DO, Joins Newly Opened TMC Lakewood Fairmount Family Medical Care
September 2, 2014
- Truman Medical Centers Welcomes Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgeon Farzad Alemi, M.D
August 4, 2014
- Missouri Department of Health and Seniors Services Names Truman Medical Center Hospital a “Show Me 5” Hospital
July 25, 2014
- Truman Medical Centers Sponsors Fourth-Annual Touchdown Family Fest
July 15, 2014
- Truman Medical Centers Recognized by Hospitals & Health Networks as Healthcare’s Most Wired – Advanced Organization
July 9, 2014
- Truman Medical Centers Breaks Ground on Hospital Hill Outpatient Center
June 27, 2014
- John W. Bluford Medical Pavilion at Truman Medical Centers Unveiled
June 19, 2014
- Incoming TMC President/CEO will be Charles W. “Charlie” Shields
April 30, 2014
- Dr. Adam Kramer Joins TMC Lakewood and Performs One of the First da Vinci Robotic Surgeries
April 14, 2014
- Doug Brandt, Joins TMC as Associate Chief Financial Officer
March 3, 2014
- The Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Center is Unveiled
February 26, 2014
- Truman Medical Centers President/CEO John W. Bluford Announces Retirement
February 21, 2014
- TMC Earns National Recognition for Patient-Centered Care
February 3, 2014
- Mobile Market Schedule
January 29, 2014
- TMC Lakewood Welcomes Sarah Sudduth, MD
January 28, 2014
- TMC Welcomes Plastic Surgeon Carol Ann Aylward, MD, FACS
January 13, 2014
- Joslin Diabetes Center and Truman Medical Centers Join Forces to Test the Joslin Clinical Analytic Tool (JCAT™)
January 2, 2014
- TMC Lakewood Introduces Eastland Breast Center
December 30, 2013
- TMC President/CEO John W. Bluford Accepts 2013 Gail L. Warden Leadership Excellence Award
November 21, 2013
- ZDG Investments donates building to Truman Medical Centers
November 19, 2013
- TMC Lakewood Welcomes Kelly James, MD, FACS, and Jonathan Patterson, MD
November 19, 2013
- TMC WIC Services Renewed For 2014
November 11, 2013
- TMC First in Missouri/Kansas to Earn HIMSS Analytics Stage 7 Ambulatory Award
November 5, 2013
- TMC Lakewood Unveils Mobile Dental Coach
November 4, 2013
- AHIMA Presents TMC with Grace Award for Innovation in Health Information Management
October 29, 2013
- TMC Lakewood Becomes First in Kansas City to Achieve Certification for Hip and Knee Joint Replacement from the Joint Commission
October 10, 2013
- Walgreens Pharmacy Opens at TMC Lakewood
October 8, 2013
- TMC School of Nurse Anesthesia and UMKC School of Nursing and Health Studies Launch a New Nursing Anesthesia Doctoral Program
September 20, 2013
- UMKC School of Medicine and TMC Introduce the Department of Neurology and Chair Dr. Anne Foundas
September 9, 2013
- TMC Names Niki Lee Donawa Chief Community Relations Officer
August 28, 2013
- TMC Lakewood Presents Evening Under the Stars - Sunset at Key West
August 19, 2013
- UMKC and TMC Appoint Dr. Mark Bernhardt Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
August 5, 2013
- TMC recognized for Third Consecutive Year by Hospitals & Health Networks Magazine as One of Health Care's "Most Wired."
July 10, 2013
Community Health Strategies and Innovation
A Healthy Community
TMC’s vision is leading the way to a healthy community. One of the ways we are fulfilling this vision is through our Community Health Strategies and Innovation department. Imagine a holistic approach which identifies the needs of a community and tailors its programming to target these areas. These initiatives encourage people to take steps to prevent and manage chronic disease. Whether working to develop better nutrition and eating habits through the Wellness Connection, offering fresh produce on the Healthy Harvest Mobile Market (HHMM), or facilitating screenings and workshops, TMC’s interactions in the community are always aimed at providing long-term solutions for improving the community’s health.
TMC’s Wellness Connection is a unique strategy to develop an all-encompassing, step by step approach to preventive healthcare and provides a platform to improve the community’s health. We collaborate with a wide array of partners to address diverse issues and populations. This collaboration is formed between TMC, community partners, and public and charter schools in the community. The creation of the Wellness Connection model in conjunction with The Don Bosco Center, the Independence School District, Kansas City Neighborhood Academy, and Bluford Library, offers an abundance of opportunities for community residents to monitor and improve their health in a comprehensive manner at ONE location.
Let us explain The Wellness Connection model. Our staff will evaluate surveys and implement programs depending on the results. For example, participants at the Bluford Library noted their willingness to lose weight and learn more about diabetes. The Registered Nurse (RN) will develop a weight loss challenge program that includes popular exercise classes, a healthy cooking class with MU Extension, and diabetes workshops. In addition, a designated section of the library is stocked with health education material and a blood pressure monitor.
The Don Bosco Center
At The Don Bosco Center, we offer many of the same features. However, because there are many English language learners at the English as a Second Language School, we provide translations in many languages that include Spanish, Arabic, Somali, French, among others. This is especially useful when providing health screenings, immunizations, and nutritional education to the students. The Healthy Harvest Mobile Market also has diverse produce from all over the world so a Somali refugee, for instance, can have a “little taste of home.”
Kansas City Public and Charter Schools
TMC understands the importance of engraining healthy lifestyle habits in our youth. Our programs provide the critical component of health education by promoting healthy lifestyle changes through youth fitness and nutrition education workshops. Below are just a few examples of our impact in the schools.
KCNA - The Kansas City Neighborhood Academy exist as part of a coordinated, comprehensive revitalization effort aimed at breaking the cycle of poverty for families living in the Kansas City urban core. As a community hospital, TMC will do its part to help provide resources and support in helping the students succeed. KCNA is also a participant in the popular Wellness Connection!
Guadalupe Centers Elementary School - Steps 2 Success is a collaboration between TMC and Junior Achievement. Together, we teach students the importance of financial, mental and physical health.
Through the Wellness Connection platform, the Community Health Education team acts as an integral component to provide glucose, cholesterol, and vision screenings, as well as experts to answer health-related questions. As a result of our data collection, we can determine the health factors that are specific to a community. Once identified, we will customize our programs to improve these particular health outcomes. For example, this flexibility has shown an ENORMOUS decrease in smoking. We can contribute these improvements to health education and the Wellness Connections. In addition, the team also attends health fairs throughout the urban core, spreading the word about health and wellness.
Our Community Health Education team also offers workshops to motivate participants to actively participate in the community to improve their own health and the health of others. It utilizes principles of adult education and group work techniques that promote health care prevention and wellness. Additionally, this program includes strategies and principles of empowerment. These classes include The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), Diabetes Self- Management Program, and Diabetes Empowerment Education Program (DEEP). Workshops are given throughout the year at various community sites as well as in house at TMC’s Hospital Hill for a 6 week period. Check out the schedule below!
TMC’s CHSI department continues to find innovative strategies to improve the community and the Healthy Harvest Mobile Market (HHMM) and The Wellness Mobile Unit are excellent examples.
The HHMM is designed to provide affordable and quality food choices to underserved areas. The bus is now handicap accessible and offers more resources for maintaining a healthy diet. Along with increasing opportunities to buy healthy foods, the HHMM improves the overall health and reduces the risk of some chronic diseases, as well as providing health education to the customers. Our strategic partnerships with Children’s Mercy, WIC, 12345 Fit-Tastic and others, allow us to leverage our strengths to impact as many people as possible.
The Wellness Mobile Unit is also a great asset to the community. The goal of this mobile wellness van is to provide the community with a resource to be screened for many chronic conditions and learn how to live a healthier lifestyle.
Find which stop on the Healthy Harvest Mobile Market 2017 calendar is best for you! Also, feel free to utilize the recipe library for delicious, healthy, (and easy) recipes!
:: Mobile Market Package List
:: Mobile Market Event Request
Jackson County Courthouse
415 East 12th St., KCMO
11:00 am-12:30 pm
Don Bosco (1st & 3rd Tues)
309 Benton Blvd., KCMO
Samuel U. Rodgers Health Center
825 Euclid Ave., KCMO
KCATA (Employees Only)
1200 East 18th St., KCMO
Don Bosco (2nd & 4th Tues)
309 Benton Blvd., KCMO
11:00 am-12:30 pm
3201 SW Trwy., KCMO
(2nd & 4th Wed) Westport House
4020 Mill Street
3800 E. Linwood Blvd., KCMO
Southeast Community Cent
Southeast Community Center
4201 East 63rd St., KCMO
Fairmount Community Center
217 Cedar, Independence, MO
16955 E. Dover Independence, MO
Fairmount Plaza (1st & 3rd Thur.)
615 S. Huttig Independence, MO
2:15 -3:15 pm
The Groves (2nd & 4th Thur.)
1515 West White Oak Independence, MO
Careers in Healthcare
Careers in Healthcare is a summer program for high school students interested in pursuing health professions.
The Learning for Life Medical Explorers Post 2950 meets monthly during the academic year to give students hands on experiences in surgical suturing, placing casts for injured limbs, intubation of airways on mannequins, occupational and physical therapy activities and several nursing specialty careers.
UMKC Summer Scholars is a collaborative program with UMKC that allows 50 high school juniors and seniors to experience the clinical setting. Students attend a Physician Lecture Series, Lunch & Learns with Medical Staff, and hands-on experience in the medical simulation lab. Students who attend the Summer Scholars program often apply for the UMKC Medical School six-year program.
Project SEARCH is a high school transition job training program for students with significant intellectual or developmental disabilities. Students in their last year of high school apply, interview and are selected for a year-long academic internship. These programs are for students from the Independence School District (TMC Lakewood) and the North Kansas City School District (TMC Hospital Hill). The placement rate amount Project SEARCH graduates is 95%, much higher than the national average employment rate for individuals with special needs!
TMC in the Community
Project Sparkle, is a TMC beautification initiative with our neighborhood partner Kansas City Neighborhood Academy (KCNA). Volunteers made repairs, painted and landscaped the charter school. KCNA grew out of a partnership between the Urban Neighborhood Initiative and Kansas City Public Schools.
The charter school serves about 220 students Pre-K through 2nd grade. A grade will be added each year up to 6th grade. TMC Community Health Strategies and Innovation also has established a Wellness Connection within the school, to promote community health education in the urban core.
TMC is proud to partner with Senator Kiki Curls for the Kansas City Public Health & Safety Fair at Arrowhead Stadium! TMC’s health education team and the TMC dental van provides screenings while UMKC pharmacy students educate participants on medication safety. With over 100 vendors and awesome entertainers such as Healthy Hip Hop, the event gets better and better each year! For more information about this year’s event, click the link below!
:: View Brochure (English + Spanish)
Community Health Needs Assessment