TMC Center for the Healing Arts
The Center for the Healing Arts incorporates visual, performing,
communicative, and relationship arts as a form of learning, expression,
and healing for patients and employees.
The Center works in partnership with the community to offer a variety
of programs, initiatives, and enrichment opportunities for both patients
and staff of TMC. It uses the creative expression of arts and literature
to encourage a broader understanding of people in health and illness.
The goal for all Center for the Healing Arts programs is to improve
patient services, and to attract, develop and retain high quality
employees to Truman Medical Centers.
The Center for the
Healing Arts features:
- First Friday Concerts - The First Friday concerts are held every
month in the TMC Hospital Hill lobby and bring local and national talent to
the patients and employees of TMC.
- TMC Healing Arts Gallery - Rotating displays of art
murals, sculpture, photography, from renown artistis are on display
throughout both hospital campuses.
- Healing Gardens - A therapeutic environment for our Behavioral
Health clients. There is both a production portion to raise food
for harvesting, as well as an aesthetic garden for peace and
tranquility for patients and employees, not to mention overall
beautification of the urban core.
- Healing Ceilings - Custom-painted ceiling tiles
promote the therapeutic quality of TMC space and positively affect
- Arts on a Cart - Bedside activities with no disruption to the
medical treatment of the patient started in the Oncology Clinic and
will be implemented in other locations for patients to access.
- Employee Art Shows - Employees are encouraged to share their
various art forms with the employees and visitors of Truman Medical
Center. Art is displayed in a designated Employee Art Gallery
outside the cafeteria entrance on the ground floor.
- Book Club - Employee groups discuss ideas generated from
their reading of fictional and
- Feature Artist Receptions - Local, regional and national artists
are introduced to the TMC Community through receptions readily
attended by community members, including TMC staff and patients.
Saxophonist Bobby Watson performs with his ensemble at a
recent First Friday Concert.