Adult Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering at TMC
As a volunteer at Truman Medical Centers, you can discover the joy and satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of many, and helping to lead the way to a healthier community.
There are many ways to get involved at TMC! Our two campuses, Health Sciences District and Lakewood, have a variety of different volunteer needs. You can work assisting patients, staff, visitors and our long-term care residents.
Director, Volunteer Services
2301 Holmes Street
Kansas City, MO
7900 Lee's Summit Rd.
Kansas City, MO
To get an up-to-date list of opportunities, please visit TMC Volunteer Opportunities
Student Volunteering (18+)
TMC has volunteer opportunities available for college students interested in careers in healthcare. Our student volunteers are able to experience a healthcare setting while giving back to the community.
Student volunteers assist in a non-clinical capacity in various departments throughout the hospital. Students are required to commit to 50 hours of service during the semester to receive confirmation of volunteer hours.
Application deadline for Fall Semester is September 15th.
Application deadline for Spring Semester is January 15th.
Volunteers play valuable and meaningful roles in the lives of patients throughout the Truman Medical Center Health System. Daytime, evening and weekend opportunities are available at both Truman Medical Center locations- TMC Health Sciences District (2301 Holmes Street), and TMC Lakewood (7900 Lee’s Summit Road). Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community, gain career experience and meet new people. Discover the joy and satisfaction of knowing you are making a difference!
Volunteer activities include:
• Greeting and escorting patients
• Helping in our beautiful gift shops
• Assisting staff in clinics or on nursing units
• Providing entertainment or recreational activities for residents of the Lakewood Care Center
• Providing clerical support or data entry services
• Assisting with various special events and community outreach activities
If you have questions or would like additional information, please call:
TMC Health Sciences District 816-404-3300
TMC Lakewood 816-404-9710
Summer Volunteer program at TMC is a great way for high school students to complete community service hours and gain experience in a medical setting. We offer two programs for youth volunteers during the summer.
Friends of TMC
Join the Friends of TMC
In 1956 a group of physician’s spouses formed the Ladies Auxiliary to General Hospital and incorporated as an organization in 1957. The purpose of the group was to provide support to the hospital through charitable donations for equipment, facility upgrades and patient needs. Another auxiliary was formed for the Jackson County Hospital in 1969. When the new Truman Medical Center Health Sciences District was built in 1976, the Jackson County Hospital became Truman Medical Center East with its own auxiliary.
In 2016 the Health Sciences District and Lakewood Auxiliaries merged, forming the new Friends of TMC organization. Changing the name reflected a united community that is inclusive. The merger strengthens support for TMC with combined resources.
Friendraising and Fundraising Focus
The Friends of TMC serve as ambassadors for TMC in the Kansas City community by disseminating information and opportunities for service. The organization also conducts “grassroots” fundraising efforts that benefit the patients, staff and community. Over the years the Friends of TMC (the two Auxiliaries) have contributed over $5 million dollars to the medical center through proceeds from the Gifts Shops, vendor sales, vending machine sales and special events. Contributions to the hospitals have included
- Health Sciences District Chapel
- Lakewood Cafeteria Remodel
- Health Sciences District Surgery Waiting Room renovation
- Health Sciences District Lobby renovation
- Dental Bus that visits Independence School District elementary schools
- Patient Navigator Support, Wigs and Prosthetics for Breast Cancer Patients
- Clothing for patients who are homeless or without local family
- Adopt-a-Resident program for Lakewood Long Term Care Residents
- Capital Purchase funding for medical equipment
- Support in the creation of the Lakewood Family Birth Center
- Materials for a sewing committee which makes 13,000 articles for TMC patients annually
If you’d like to join us in our efforts, please complete the Membership Application on the following link:
:: Friends of TMC Membership Application PDF
Donations and Drives
TMC holds various drives throughout the year to benefit our patients and community.
- Bess’s Closet is TMC’s own thrift store. Donate your gently used clothing, books, and home items. All funds raised are donated to hospital projects.
– TMC serves more than 100,000 patients annually, many with limited financial resources. We are in constant need of various clothing items to give to our patients at the time of discharge. This includes underwear and socks for men and women; men’s and women’s shirts and pants; and flat shoes. Donations must be brand new, in original packaging, with tags attached.
Holiday Gift Bags
– Adopt a resident in the TMC Lakewood Long Term Care Center during the holiday season. Fulfill their simple wish list and make their holidays a little brighter.
• Books and other reading material
• Reading glasses
• Handmade Items
Various handmade items are distributed to patients throughout the hospital. Current needs include:
• Baby hats
• Receiving blankets
• Breast pads
• Seatbelt pillows
If interested in holding a drive, call Volunteer Services at 816-404-3300
Read more: Volunteer / Auxiliary